Tuesday, August 30, 2016

My Daughter's Wisdom

In the last several years, I've had the privilege to watch as Bethany has gained wisdom and insight about life.

She's always been a smart girl.  She admittedly isn't a 'lover of learning' like her brothers, but none-the-less.... very intelligent.

Just lately she's made several comments that have shown she's listening.

               Growing.

                              Maturing.
           
                                            Gaining wisdom.

                                                                      Discernment.

She's had several 'crushes' through the years -- nothing overtly serious as we have chosen to travel the 'no dating until ready for marriage' road with our kiddos, but... she is a typical teenager and does find members of the opposite sex attractive and interesting.

Along with crushes on boys, we are astutely aware she's had boys have crushes on her as well.

Some a bit more obvious than others. Some just in passing.  Yet, all have impacted her emotionally to some degree or another.

These crushes have taught her a lot without being overly intimate.  They've opened up doors for discussion.  Observation.  Insight.

She's learned that putting your heart out there - even if only a little bit, opens it up to heartbreak.

She's learned that friendship is key.

She's learned that her heart, her emotions, her feelings are important.

She once said to me, "I think my feelings for X have waned.  I realized he is only interested in me when no one else is peeking his interest, and I'm worth more than that.  I don't want to be someone's 'fall back girl'."

What?

Where did such astuteness come from?  I'm not sure I was that sensible at 14, 16, 18 even 20 years of age.

I'm glad she's realized how important she is.  That God created her in HIS image and she is the daughter of THE King and as such, she is worth WAY more than being the 'fall back girl' or the 'part time girl'.

You go girl!

We've also raised our boys to protect and provide for their sisters, me, other girls in their circle of interaction, and one day their own wives.   Part of that is doing the hard tasks. Carrying the heavy stuff.  Taking the bulk of the load in more physical situations.

My perceptive young lady has taken note.

Another comment she made, that again, made my heart swell, was "I don't think guys realize we girls are watching.  We watch what they do.  How hard they work.  If they help and protect.  How kind or unkind they are to others.  I don't think they understand that we aren't going to want to marry the ones that DON'T do those things.  The ones that pick on others."

Be still my heart.

She's got it.  She's on the right track.

She's not just looking for a handsome face; a strong body; a hefty pocket book -- she's interested in character; integrity; a man after God's own heart.

What more could a mom wish for?

It's been neat over the years to watch her develop such keen circumspection.

Now we'll continue praying she finds a Godly man who is worthy of her heart.  Who fulfills the requirements this sage young woman is setting forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only check comments for spam.