Friday, August 11, 2017

New Milestones

This year, as school is getting ready to start back up, I realize it's somewhat a year of monumental milestones for our family.

One thing about having children is all the cool turning points that go along with them.

This year it seems we have quite a few new ones.

Or at least, somewhat new to us and of course new to each kiddo.

Induction to Honor's Society at UW.
Our oldest is starting his senior year of college - yep, that's definitely a first all around - and for the first time in his life has a 'girlfriend'.  (Another completely novel first for us all!)  A sweet young lady with which he has entered a 'courting/dating' relationship after having been friends close to 4 years.

Talk about milestones.  That's two major ones to start us off.  Wow!

He's also moving into an apartment rather than the dorms (yet another unique landmark for our brew) with a friend from college for his last 2 years.  Yes, even though he's going into his senior year, due to his triple major he'll be around for that 'dreaded' 5th year to complete his degrees.  (I'll admit, it's not so dreaded to me.  It means I get to keep him a bit closer a bit longer. Those days are numbered and I know it.  So.... I'll relish in that 5th year.)

The next 2 kids in line are entering their senior year of high school.  How did THAT happen?  It just doesn't seem possible that in about 12 more months both of them will be heading off to college.

WHAT?

Doing devotions at church camp.
Bethany is getting close to being ready to take her driving test to get her actual license.  Not to mention she'll turn 18 this year.  She's already planning some road trips with her friends from high school that are going to be at UW this coming year.  Am I ready for that?  A somewhat big first for this mama as Jacob never did that until he was out of the house and on his own, so to speak.

Decorating Christmas cookies.
Then there's Elijah - he just turned 16 and may actually agree to get his temporary license. Yeah, the driving thing is a bit late on both, but.... it's how we roll.  I'm ok all our kids have driven later -- it gives their brains more time to mature and hopefully prevents some silly adolescent risks.

He's been working this summer helping neighbors with construction, landscaping, electronics work - many new and first experiences.



Playing in the mud pit at camp.


Next up is Miss Trinity - she's entering 6th grade.  That's quite a milestone.  As I unpacked her schoolbooks for the year I was a bit taken aback as I pulled out her math 'Fundamentals of Algebra and Geometry'.

How can my sweet little girl - only 11 years old - be learning algebra and geometry?  ARG!

One more reminder of just how fast the time is whisking away.

Not to mention she's entering that pre-pubescent phase and all the changes THAT brings about.  I'm sure she'll love to know I shared that as she gets a little older.  ;-)

Yes, my little girl is turning into a young woman right before my eyes.


Less muddy,
but still having fun in the mud pit


Miss Charity is entering 5th grade and is so exited to be able to take part in the Iditarod program our virtual school offers for language arts.  I remember last year how thrilled Trinity was to take part and now... Charity is following in her footsteps.  Again- how can this be?

Both girls went to church camp for the first time this summer - as did I - THAT was really a first for our family.  LOL!

Charity is maturing in her own rights and becoming quite the young lady.  Her shyness - although still present - is often pushed back as she takes the lead to make new friends, take part in activities, or lead the way to help her little sister approach new experiences.

It just seems like yesterday she was starting kindergarten with that sweet little face and her infectious smile and giggle that knows no bounds.



Drawing on a kids' menu while out to eat.
Finally is the youngest, Miss Selah. She has already started her 3rd grade year as she finished off her 2nd grade curriculum early last spring.  She is reading independently and working at her own pace with her school lessons now.

She's even beginning to write in cursive.

How and when did THAT happen?

She too has grown and changed so much.  I still remember her as a little preschooler wanting to be like all the big kids and 'do school'.

My how the tables have turned.  Even though she does well with school, now that she's in 3rd grade she realizes how much time it takes and how much it impedes play time and fun.  Ha.

Welcome to the real world, sweetie.



Milestones abound.

I wouldn't change it for the world, but it does cause one to pause and reflect and remember times gone by.

So many changes.

So many firsts.

It's somewhat unreal to realize some of these firsts are the last of their kind.

As our summer ends, I'll try to revel in these upcoming firsts.  Breath them in.  Enjoy them.  Lament them.

Family vacation this summer at the Redwood Forest - Jacob generally no longer tags along due to other commitments...
Realizing photos capturing 5 of our kiddos having fun on a summer vacation are coming to a close is another 'milestone'.
I didn't really expect that when Jacob left for college -- I thought he'd still come home for summer break.
Boy, was I wrong.  So.... I'll take advantage of these opportunities as often as I can.
Milestones are yet more blessings in which to be thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I only check comments for spam.