Monday, April 7, 2014

Wall Entertainment Center - Part II

Best laid plans....

Never seem to come to fruition!

Well, my 'ideal master plan' of buying paint on Fri morning, starting to paint Fri afternoon, and hanging the entertainment shelves Sat morning..........

........ didn't quite happen as planned.

While shopping, I felt congested and as if my sinuses were 'filling up'.  I thought it was just the result of a 'sneezing fit' I had that morning.  As the day progressed, my head felt worse and worse.  By the time I got home with the groceries and all my painting supplies...... I.  Felt.  Horrible!  As if my head just might explode.

I even had a slight fever -- or at least felt a bit warm to the touch and felt feverish on the inside.

To bed I trundled.

Sleeping fitfully for a couple hours, I emerged a little before dinnertime.

By then I decided the painting could wait till Sat and we'd just push back hanging of the shelves for a few days.  :-(

The littles headed off to Kids' Club and Techno, Jacob, and I watched Saving Mr. Banks while we ate popcorn and chicken for dinner.  (When the main cook is under the weather, dinner options get interesting.)

Before bed, I took a dose of Nyquil.

That seemed to have done the trick.   It knocked me out AND cleared my sinuses.

After a quick snuggle round at 7am, Techno and all the girls headed into the living room for breakfast and I (in my Nyquil induced haze) rolled over and went back to sleep.  Finally emerging around 9:30 am, I had a cup of coffee, sat in my chair, and slowly began to feel human once again.

Not sure exactly what time I started, but midmorning I began removing all the electronics from the entertainment center. (Boy was that a doozy!  I'm not a fan of cords and let's just say THERE ARE A LOT OF CORDS IN OUR ENTERTAINMENT EQUIPMENT!)

As I mentioned at the start, best laid plans seem to fail miserably.  Once the entertainment center was cleared and dusted, the plan was to roll it back to the girls' room to await it's 'transformation'.  Apparently our hallway had a different idea.

It. Didn't. FIT!!!  So..... it's currently on it's side, resting in our kitchen.  LOL!

The initial step accomplished, I set up the boards for the 'new' entertainment system on saw horses and put on the first coat of 'bone white' paint.

While those dried, I began 'cutting in' around the edges of the wall with the lovely dried sage.  I chose NOT to tape off the ceiling and baseboards simply b/c I'm a bit lazy and I didn't want to be up on the tall ladder any longer than I needed.  ;-)

Since I only did 1 full wall and a 1/4 of another, it didn't take too long to accomplish.

Then.... the first coat.  Again, pretty quick - relatively speaking.

By the time I finished all that, it was time for a second coat on the boards.  Easy peasy.

Unsure of what I wanted to do with the trim, I decided to 'just try' the bone white around the trim of the entryway into the kitchen.  It looked 'quite white' as I painted and I wasn't sure I loved it.  But... I kept going.

Once I finished the first coat of that, I decided it was a go. I  did the floorboards along the painted walls as well.  (Have to admit, now that I've done them in the bone white, I do---- in fact ---- "LOVE IT"!)

The wall still needed to dry a bit so it was a good time to take a break.

Anyone who's ever painted, knows you should never sit down.  Once you do....... you. just. don't. want. to. get. back. up.

Since I already broke that rule, I decided to take a little break and eat a snack.

After that, the walls and boards were dry.

Flipping the boards, I painted the first coat on the second side of all three.

Next up...... cutting in for the second coat. Ah, the lovely tall ladder.  My favorite!

After that was accomplished, getting the second coat on the walls was fairly simple.

Ah, the lovely trim -- again.  Did I yet mention how much I dislike painting trim?  I'm not a neat painter and I absolutely despise taping off, so..... I get paint everywhere.  Yeah, I know, not the sharpest tack in the box.

That completed, the final coat on the boards was next.

Phew!  All the painting was done!!  (Well, on the first wall and a fourth.)

Now, waiting for Doug to have time to hang the shelves.

Waiting is not a strength I possess.  I'm rather impatient. But.... tonight, after work, we'll get started.

Can't wait to share the 'reveal' when it's all said and done.

Then, I may have to take wagers on how long it'll take me to finish painting the rest of the walls.  LOL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only check comments for spam.