Monday, October 2, 2017

Lived-in Home

I have to admit, I'm often - well always really - torn between having a pristine, clean, Martha Stewart, Pinterest worthy house and being content with the home I have with finger prints, toys strewn about, mismatched decor, and chipped paint and cabinets.

You know, the lived in, loved in kinda house with a little dirt and sticky crumbs mixed in for good measure.

As I went to pour my second cup of coffee the other morning, I was struck by the pink rings on the counter where someone made their 'flavored water' and dribbled the 'flavoring' over the edge of their cup; the finger prints on the microwave from sticky fingers opening up the door to heat their breakfast; the smears of peanut butter or whatever other 'food' item had spilled down the front of the cabinet when they prepared their snack; the overflowing garbage can as I went to toss the napkin I just used to clean up said peanut butter mess; I sighed.

The kitchen had been completely clean just the evening before.

How, oh how was it THIS messy THAT fast?

In that moment it struck me -- this juxtaposition I'm in.

This stage of life isn't going to last much longer.

Bethany and Elijah will be moving off to college next year.

The littles aren't really all that 'little' anymore.  Shoot just now Trinity cooked up a snack for herself and her two sisters on the stove.  Yeah, not little anymore.  (Although, said snack did ADD to the mess I mentioned above, I'm certain.)

As I drank my second cup of coffee, I pondered... What's REALLY  important to me?

I know that a messy, cluttered house causes me stress.  I can literally feel my blood pressure rise and my attitude turn sour when the house is in 'disaster mode'.  Yet, as I glanced around at the finger prints and smeared food, I was struck with how soon all these minor annoyances will be gone.  Those reminders that our house is filled with little hands, little feet, children who are learning to make their own meals, clean up after themselves (or not as the case may sometimes be based on the state of our kitchen.)

It made me smile.  Slowly with a little tick, but... a smile none-the-less.  ;-)

Sure, I still yearn for the house to be 'presentable'; nice even.  I'd love to have the budget to turn our home into a home and gardens model, but... we don't and it's not.

We live here.

ALL. THE. TIME!

Literally.

It's not like we get up each morning and leave the house. The kids do school here; I am home all day teaching them; Techno works from here; the dogs and cat are here all day; we go in and out feeding chickens and rabbits; we LIVE and WORK and PLAY in our house.

All day, everyday.

That results in a lot more mess than the average family.

For now, I'm not fretting -- much --  over the smudges on the stainless steel fridge; the fingerprints on the microwave; the smears of peanut butter on the cabinet fronts; the crumbs on the island; the shoes in the entryway; the toys on the floor; the books on the desks.

Because.... soon enough.... I'll miss all those things.

All this mess.

I'll long for the days when the house was filled to the brim being lived in by all our precious children.

Not to mention, the mess?  It does get cleaned up at the end of the day -- one way or another -- sometimes really well, sometimes just a pass through.

Yet, soon -- too soon -- there will be no bustle of children mucking around in the kitchen making messes.  There will be no school books and papers strewn all over the schoolroom/entryway.  The toys will be gone.  The large basket of shoes will only hold 2 pair instead of the MILLIONS it overflows to the floor now.  The basket of laundry will sit mostly empty throughout the week instead of toppling over with clothes daily.

This stage of life is fleeting.  Quicker than I'd like to admit.

I'm glad I can say, that at least for today, I'm choosing to be content with the lived in home we have and not agonize over having a picture perfect house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only check comments for spam.