Thursday, February 13, 2014

Easy Black Bean Chili

Having started a 'healthy living' eating plan (I'm avoiding the use of the word diet - it's a mental thing. LOL!) I have been seeking easy, yet healthy meal ideas.

This week I came across a recipe for Easy Black Bean Soup.

I didn't have all the ingredients this recipe called for, so..... I 'winged it' and came up with a darn good 'chili' - for lack of a better term.

If you are looking for a hot, easy, quick, yet healthy meal to serve your family on these cold snowy nights (in case you live in a place that's getting walloped with snow like we are) this meal might be right up your alley.

Key words that I liked in that description?  EASY, QUICK, HEALTHY!  Hot is pretty good too.  :-)

Black Bean Chili

Ingredients:  I made a huge batch - I am feeding 8 people, after all, and we like to have leftovers.
3 cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cans diced tomatoes (I used chili ready/spiced)
1 can rotel (because we like spicy foods)
2 boxes chicken stock/broth
3 cups cooked rice (give or take depending on how 'thick' you want your chili)
Additional spices to taste - I added garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and no salt seasoning
Optional - avocado; sour cream; shredded cheese

Add all ingredients into large pot except rice, avocado, sour cream, and cheese. While rice is cooking allow 'soup' to simmer.  Once rice is cooked add it to the pot with other ingredients.  Let simmer till heated through.  The longer it cooks/simmers the more the rice will absorb the liquid and it will become more of a 'stew/chili' rather than a soup.

Serve in bowls with a little avocado, sour cream, and shredded cheese on top.

I just had a little avocado and a small dollop of sour cream and it was REALLY yummy.  Helped cut the spice a bit and gave a little 'creaminess' to the dish.

Techno added cheese to his with some Sriracha sauce and thought it was GREAT!

He went so far as to say this meal could be added to our 'rotation' of items I could serve on a regular basis.

Whoohoo!!   That means it was a hit.

Charity had seconds; the boys both had seconds; Techno had seconds; I had my full bowl and it was tasty enough that I would have LIKED to have had seconds, but.... being good I stuck to just. one. bowl.

I will add, it was quite filling.

As leftovers:  It was ok.  Had a small bowl tonight heated in the microwave and it was still tasty, but a bit mushy.

Still... giving this easy, go to recipe a thumbs up for a quick, hot, weeknight dinner idea.

What are some of your favorite 'go to' meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only check comments for spam.