Friday, February 28, 2014

Eye Surgery and Date Night - Rolled into One

Odd as it sounds, Doug had his second laser surgery in Fort Collins yesterday so we decided to take the opportunity to have a little 'get away'.

We reserved a room at the Embassy Suites and stayed overnight -- away from the kiddos -- just the two of us.

Heavenly.

The surgery went well.  The pooling blood in his eye had subsided some, but the doctor noted new bleeding so he wanted to get the eye treated as much as possible to try to cease that leaky vessel.  80% of the eye was able to be 'lazed', as the doctor put it.   We'll return in 3 months to try to 'finish it off'.  (Who knows, maybe another 'night out'?) 

I guess it was a little weird, since he JUST had surgery on his eye.  However, when you have 6 kids..... you grab opportunities wherever, whenever you can.

Checking into the hotel, his eye was actually taped shut.  Probably a funny looking sight, but we sure didn't care.

As we arrived, they informed us of the 'Manager's Reception' going on from 5-7:30 in the dining area.  This included free drinks and snacks.

FREE!!!  Did I mention that?

You bet we chose to head down once we had all our stuff lugged into our room.

I had no expectations as to WHAT the snacks might be, but... boy was I still surprised.

First it seemed simple enough.  Tortilla chips, salsa, a little hummus, and guacamole.  Then we noted the fancy 'pita chips'. Even better than that?  The hot spinach artichoke dip.  One of our favorites.  Even some chunk cheese.

What a dilemma I had.

I've been trying to 'be good' on my healthy eating adventure.  These snacks?  Yeah, they didn't exactly fit into my menu options.

I decided to give myself a 'free pass' and to just 'go for it'.

Probably not the BEST decision, but it sure was a YUMMY decision.

I was careful to keep my portions small and didn't have TOO much.

Much of the enjoyment came from the experience of sitting across from Techno, my wonderful hubby, and soaking in the moment.  Holding hands as we talked.  Listening to and watching the water feature beside our table.  Blissful, romantic, memorable.

We called the kids from our hotel room once we finished eating our 'snacks'.  (We may enjoy a little time away, just the two of us, but we still miss our precious gifts back home.)

Settled in for the evening, we simply enjoyed the time together.  Watched a little TV, chatted, snuggled.

What more could a girl ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only check comments for spam.