Saturday, February 9, 2013

Talk of the town


We live in Wyoming - it's not for the faint of heart, especially in the winter; which can be cold and harsh.

So, when we moved our thin skinned, no fat, short haired greyhound out to the mountains, we immediately purchased cold weather clothing for him as well.  A fleece lined, gortex winter coat; dog boots w/leather soles; and an earmuff/hat sort of thing to protect his ears -- which are prone to frost bite according to the "experts".

We "dressed him up" in his wonderful new warm dog wear and the kids got ready to walk him.   If dogs could talk, I think he would have said, "You've got to be kidding?  You want me to go out THERE in THIS?  Do you know the ridicule I'm going to endure from all the other "hardy" dogs in the community?"  I will admit, I chuckled a bit myself.

Funny thing is - we humans had no idea we'd all become the talk of the town. As we met people they'd comment, "Oh yeah, your the ones with THAT dog." Ha - guess his outfit left quite the impression.

Friendly yes, everyone seems to already know us.  As we walk, cars and trucks pull up beside us, hands thrust out the window, "hi, I'm _________, I live in the house here or there."  As we introduce ourselves, a comment is usually shared that they've heard this or that about us, they've seen us; but the most oft heard remark is.... the greyhound w/the "outfit".

And so it goes - life in a small town.  Glad to be the "talk of the town" in regards to Apollos' choice of attire or lack there of, as I'm fairly sure he would not choose to wear this get up if he had the option.  Our goal is to be a light in the community and give none reason to ever have anything worse to say about us other than what the dog wears on his winter walks.

2 comments:

  1. I know Apollos can't say it, but I am sure he appreciates the warmth on his walks and daily potty breaks. I am sure you all are looking forward to spring though :) Just no Easter bonnet for doggie please :) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Now THAT would be funny. An Easter bonnet -- can you imagine the whispers then?

    ReplyDelete

I only check comments for spam.