Thursday, March 21, 2013

Crock Pot French Toast

The kids love to wake up to a hot, yummy breakfast. I mean L.O.V.E it.

I tend to prefer to sleep till they all start stirring.

The two preferences don't mix.  Either they do NOT get a hot breakfast, I get up EARLY, or breakfast doesn't happen till 9am - which doesn't jive w/our 'schedule'.

Sooooooo......

I've started attempting more crock pot breakfasts.

A recent attempt..... french toast - taken from recipes found on Pinterest.

Player Line-up:  This shows the recipe already doubled

Bread - any type - stale is often better for french toast.  I used a whole loaf of rather stale french bread and a half bag of odd end pieces, a combination of white/wheat/even buns, leftovers from other meals and recipes etc.
12 eggs
4 C milk
4 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp brown sugar
4 tsp vanilla
(if I make this again, I think I'll put more of the spices/flavorings, as it was a little bland -- although, the kids loved it as is)

Tear bread into pieces (especially if using slate french bread) or in half (if using slices of bread), toss into bottom of crock pot.  I filled our crock pot to the top with the bread.  Not packed in, but tossed fairly loosely.

Whisk eggs with milk and remaining ingredients.  Add more here if you want a bolder flavor or leave as is if you prefer a mild hint.  I might even add a little nutmeg and cloves next time. It might also be fun to add apples or raisins or pumpkin depending on the season.

Pour egg mixture over the bread. At this point, I smooshed the bread down into the egg mixture to be sure it was all covered.  (I might have been able to add another 1/2 loaf of bread and 1/2 mixture of eggs if I wanted.)  I guess I should mention I have a huge crock pot. I think it's 7 qts or so.  It holds a lot.

Cook on low overnight or at least 6 hours.

Wake to the wonderful fragrance of french toast wafting through the air.

Scoop and serve warm with butter and syrup.

This was a yummy, easy, ready in the morning meal that I will most likely do again.  The kids really liked it, it was quick to throw together, and fits the bill of a hardy breakfast to start the day.  The eggs in the recipe give it some protein factor, the cinnamon and brown sugar add that sweet taste the kids love, and I don't have to get up super early to have a hot breakfast on the table as the kids arise.

Warning!  The consistency of this dish was closer to bread pudding than french toast, so if that's not your cup of tea, you just might want to skip this dish.  If, however, you like bread pudding - for breakfast - this recipe will be right up your alley.

I didn't get any pictures of this meal in progress or when it was completed.  It was late when I started it and I hadn't had my coffee when it was finished.  My brain wasn't quite fully engaged - hence the reason I like this recipe so much.  Not much brain power needed.

Hope you enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only check comments for spam.