Monday, March 25, 2013

Pumpkin Smoothies

Smoothies are a special breakfast or lunch treat in our house.  That... and fruit and yogurt parfaits.  The kids love 'em!

I've had pumpkin smoothies on our menu plan for a couple weeks -- each time they were bumped by left-overs or a shift in the menu plan.

Today, I decided I'd bump them again because the fridge was overflowing with leftovers.  The kids revolted.

"Pumpkin smoothies are SOOOOO good and such a treat," bemoaned Elijah.

Thinking about it, I decided we could do both. Clean out the refrigerator and have a small helping of pumpkin smoothie.

I've made various pumpkin smoothie recipes in the past.  From canned pumpkin and yogurt only to the addition of ice, cinnamon, and other odd and end ingredients.

Finding a recipe on Pinterest that looked better than average, I decided to go with it.

Pumpkin, whole milk, yogurt and cinnamon were the required ingredients.

In typical Six Shootin' Mama fashion - I did NOT re-read the recipe very well.  All I had was skim milk.  Hmmmm.....

Plus it called for 3 cups of milk to 1 small can of pumpkin -- that wasn't going to be a smoothie, that was gonna be pumpkin flavored milk.

So... I altered the recipe - quite a bit.
Yum!  Light yet filling and fairly healthy.

Here's the roster of players:

30 oz can of prepared pumpkin - not pie filling, but pure pumpkin 
1 C +/- heavy whipping cream
1/2 C skim milk (maybe a little less)
1 C vanilla low fat yogurt
dash or so of Cinnamon and Nutmeg
Serves 8 - 6 smaller cups and 2 moderate sized cups (kids and parent servings)

Pour pumpkin into blender
Next add 1 C. of yogurt
Top with the heavy whipping cream and skim milk along with the spices.

Blend till smooth.

Pour into cups, top with granola if desired.

Super yummy.  Quite healthy.  A nice treat to top off our 'left over' lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only check comments for spam.