Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Crying over lunch

As I read a guest author's post on Time Warp Wife's blog, I was humbled and brought to tears.

Quite literally.

As I was reading, Techno-genius walked in the room to thank me for his lunch.  He no more spoke the words with a big smile on his face, when I looked up at him and burst into tears.  Not soft little tears, weeping loud sobs.  I'm sure he wanted to flee, wondering what on earth could cause such a response.

The premise of the article was the unexpected death of a young woman's husband and how we wives need to be mindful of our attitude. We never know if we'll one day be wishing we had "one more time...." with our husbands.  That our time is limited and it's up to us to make each moment count.

So, when my husband thanked me for lunch, I looked at him and realized that could be the last time he does that - I wept.

Bringing to mind my own "poor attitude" I had recently displayed to my husband, I was  struck by how dishonoring I had been.  When I had to hang his pants and put his shirt in the laundry, instead of joyfully serving, I made certain I gave him "what for"; even if it was in jest - about the 2 steps to the closet he could have taken and the basket of dirty clothes around the corner in which he could have put his OWN shirt.

What if that had been the last thing I had the opportunity to say to him? Do for him?  Is that the memory I want to carry with me?  No, it certainly isn't.

Is this how God would have me act?  How He'd want me to respond and interact with my husband?  I don't think so.  As Doug's help meet - the one who completes him - it is my duty, my privilege to encourage him, love him, serve him, respect him, and even submit to and obey him.

As I recalled the words of the young woman who lost her husband, I'm convicted that not only do I want to do what God has commanded me to do, but I want to do it JOYFULLY.  I don't know the day or the hour when my husband will be called home. When he'll no longer be here to leave his pants and shirt on the floor. When I will no longer have the opportunity to make him coffee, cook him his favorite meal, watch the superbowl with  him, discuss my feelings with him, hug him, kiss him, love him here on earth.

In light of this knowledge, I am going to make a concerted effort day in and day out to serve my husband cheerfully; to enjoy the moments we have together now; to cherish his warm embrace, his loving kiss; to be the help meet God called me to be.

Next time I have to hang up his pants and put his shirt in the laundry, instead of sighing or griping over the chores added to my list of things to do, I'm going to smile - maybe even sing a song of praise - because having this task assures me my hubby is still here - for a time - with me on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I only check comments for spam.