Friday, May 31, 2013

Fate? A cat and a bat.

It's a funny beginning, but one I honestly think was orchestrated by God.

It was October, my senior year in college - 1992.  My housemates and I decided to throw a Halloween party. We'd all invite our friends, have refreshments, music, and encourage everyone to come in costume.

Having recently lost a lot of weight - I decided to go as Cat Woman.  Slinky black leotard with white stitches, a furry tail, pleather boot coverings, and a cat mask to boot.  I made it myself - guess even back then I was masterful at repurposing fashion.

As I was stitching the last bits of my suit together, my roommate's friend stopped by to drop off some sugar free drinks for the party.  We shared glances and pleasantries.  After he left, I was sure to tell my friend that I though he was "good lookin'."

Little did I know I was getting ready to embark on a life changing journey.

When he arrived that night, it was as if we were destined to be a couple.  How else could one explain his costume of choice?  BATMAN.  As Cat Woman and Batman, it seemed only natural that we flirt much of the night away.  And so, we did.

After the party, we talked into the wee hours of the morning sitting on the couch in our living room.  One of my roommates, whose room was right off this main area, did not appreciate our lively and lengthy conversations.  Her sleep, however, was of no consequence to us this particular evening.

Unbeknownst to me, this was the man I was going to marry.  Batman on the other hand, having prayed at the start of the school year that he'd meet the woman of his dreams, was hooked. (Not sure he worded it as such, but the romantic side of me chooses to think so.)   He was convinced - Cat Woman was THE one.

It took me a bit longer to come to the same conclusion.

For a long time his family simply knew me as "Cat Woman".  No other name, just Cat Woman.

By Christmas - things were serious.  Somewhere - without it being discussed - we had become "exclusive".  No other guys sparked my interest and as I mentioned, Batman had already decided back in October that Cat Woman would one day become his wife.

One could say, the rest is history.  We continued to date, got engaged a year later, and married a year after that.  We still have fond memories of our time as Batman and Cat Woman - although I'm quite certain I could no longer pull off such a get-up nor would I even try.

I praise God for answering a young bat's prayer by bringing a cute cat across his path those many years ago.  I also give thanks that said cat opened her heart despite having determined to become an "independent 'cat' making it on her own."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I only check comments for spam.